The Communications Associate is an essential part of a small team which includes a Communications Director, Web Developer and Graphic Designer. S/he is responsible for ensuring the organization’s communications goals are met by serving as a brand steward and assisting the strategies determined by the Communications Director and organizational leadership. S/he reports directly to the Communications Director.
Other responsibilities include assisting in the development, execution and management of the organization’s strategic plan and project campaigns, media relations, social media management, email marketing, interdepartmental communication, editorial calendar and dissemination lists.
Specific tasks include:
- Assisting in writing, editing, promotion and image sourcing of all weekly editorial content, including blog posts of original content.
- Assisting in development of strategic communications planning for the organization and for project-based work, including the dissemination of research reports and the promotion of products and events.
- Leading in the publishing of weekly Engaging Ideas blog post and blog digest email.
- Conducting news media monitoring (Google Alerts and Cision), clipping, and analysis, including contributing to the daily morning “Headlines” email to all staff and board.
- Managing communication of campaigns and organizational messaging on social channels including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Medium, as well as YouTube and Pinterest when appropriate.
- Managing and maintaining all email communications, including the monthly newsletter, lists and contacts in Constant Contact. This includes regularly updating contacts and assisting in updating the digital content calendar.
- Maintaining campaign-related audience lists and issue-area influencer lists. Creating and researching contacts for project dissemination lists.
- Assisting on evaluation of campaigns and reporting on grants.
- Assisting and advising on creation of digital and print design and presentation, including data visualization.
- Assisting in coordination of outside vendors, funders, partners and staff in production of research reports with web, traditional and social media components.
- Coordinating communications with the director of donor development on annual giving campaigns, solicitations, annual report and events, including scheduling fundraising emails and social media. Attends fundraising events.
- Assisting with policy breakfast events, including preparing reports and other marketing collateral with graphic designer and managing live social feeds during event.
- Assisting in orientation of new hires to organizational messaging and communications tools, and leads non-senior staff orientation when necessary.
- Funneling contact information updates to Raiser's Edge manager.
- Processing permissions and licensing requests.
- Occasional management of interns and part-time staff.
Necessary experience and skills:
- 3-5 years of experience in communications and marketing
- A Bachelor’s degree or more
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including copyediting experience, with proven ability to describe complex policy issues clearly and accurately for different audiences
- Skilled at collaborating with content experts
- Exceptional project management and ability to multitask and prioritize complex tasks
- Commitment to Public Agenda’s mission and nonpartisan stance
- People person with a proven ability to build and maintain relationships with key influencers in media and policy
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with people at all levels, inside and outside the organization
- Highly detail oriented and at ease with both data and text
- Flexibility, patience, and a good sense of humor
Helpful experience and skills:
- Experience in the nonprofit sector
- Experience with the main issues that Public Agenda works on
- Experience with Cision or other PR software
- Knowledge of Associated Press style
- Familiarity with Constant Contact or other email marketing services
- Familiarity with Google Drive and other Google products
Send a resume, writing sample and cover letter explaining how you heard about this opportunity and
what you hope to gain from working at Public Agenda to email@example.com.
Please indicate in the subject line that you are applying for "Communications Associate."
Public Agenda offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.