Director of Communications
Public Agenda is a national, nonpartisan research and public engagement organization dedicated to strengthening democracy and expanding opportunity in America. Based in New York City and founded in 1975 by Dan Yankelovich and Cyrus Vance, Public Agenda fosters progress on democracy reform, K-12 and higher education, health care, immigration, and many other issues important to the American public.
Areas of responsibility include strategic communications planning, brand stewardship, development and execution of communications campaigns, media relations, publication production management and dissemination, social media management, service and product marketing, and writing and editing. The Director of Communications reports to the President, coordinates closely with the Director of Development on development goals and strategies, and coordinates closely with senior program staff on program communications needs and goals. S/he also manages a part-time Communications Associate, interns and communications consultants.
Necessary experience and skills:
- At least five+ years of organizational communications experience, at least two in the nonprofit sector at a senior level
- Exceptional project management and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience and aptitude supervising and developing staff and managing a team
- Skilled at collaborating with content experts, and supporting senior spokespeople
- Website and social media expertise
- Commitment to Public Agenda’s nonpartisan orientation and mission
Helpful experience and skills:
- Ability to describe complex policy issues clearly and accurately for diverse audiences
- Experience with one or more of the issues that Public Agenda works on and a quick study to get up to speed on others as needed
- Established media relationships relevant to Public Agenda’s work
- Experience with donor development, events and grant writing
Public Agenda offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Brooklyn Navy Yard
1 Dock 72 Way # 6101
Brooklyn, NY 11205-1242
Send a resume, writing sample and cover letter explaining how you heard about this opportunity and what you hope to gain from working at Public Agenda to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line that you are applying for the Communications Director position.
- This is not a physically demanding position
- Must be able to sit at a desk for the majority of the work day
- Regularly stands, bends, lifts and moves intermittently during workday
- Employee must be able to meet deadlines, arrive to work on-time, complete paperwork, follow directions and work as a member of a team
- May need to travel for conferences or other events from time to time
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Our organization is committed to equal employment opportunity and diversity in the workplace. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis [“protected class”] including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.