Careers at Public Agenda
Public Agenda is an equal opportunity employer.
Senior Public Engagement Associate – Job Posting
Public Agenda is a nonprofit organization that helps diverse leaders and citizens navigate complex, divisive issues. Through nonpartisan research and engagement, it provides people with the insights and support they need to arrive at workable solutions on critical issues, regardless of their differences. Since 1975, Public Agenda has helped foster progress on K-12 and higher education reform, health care, federal and local budgets, energy and immigration. Public Agenda is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
The Senior Public Engagement Associate works with the Public Engagement (PE) team to develop, coordinate and implement engagement projects across a range of issues areas around the country. The senior associate will lead various types of field-based engagement projects – including project design, field logistics, research, facilitation, report writing and evaluation. The PE Department is busy and fast moving. The applicant must be comfortable leading multiple projects independently with minimal supervision, while maintaining an ability to work as part of a team. The Senior Public Engagement Associate contributes to Public Agenda’s mission to create opportunities for collaboration and to facilitate problem solving for our nation’s most pressing issues. We are looking for a highly motivated individual who is interested in contributing to our work across the country. This position reports directly to the Director of Public Engagement Programs.
- Manage projects - design work plans, budgets and timelines, manage client relationships, track project resources and tasks, write reports and memos, lead presentations for funders and clients, and close and evaluate projects
- Facilitate small- and large-group dialogue – manage field logistics and participant in recruitment, develop agendas and session materials, produce events, lead and record conversations, and help participants identify common ground and clarify conflicts and reach agreement for action
- Provide technical assistance – assist clients with their engagement activities including strategic planning, pre-engagement research, and the customization of engagement tools and materials
- Perform qualitative research and analysis – coordinate literature reviews, design protocols and conduct focus groups and interviews, analyze transcripts, and write report summaries
- Conduct trainings – design and lead stakeholder engagement trainings
Required Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
- A post-Bachelor’s degree in a social science or related discipline (e.g., public policy, public administration, education, political science, conflict resolution, organizational development, public health, etc).
- At least five years of work experience in any of the following fields: Public engagement, public policy, conflict resolution, organizational development, change management, education reform, or communications.
- Work experience must include at least three years facilitating group dialogue or leading trainings.
- Work experience must include at least three years managing projects.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; experience with SPSS, NVivo or other data analysis programs a plus
- Strong writing skills
- Team player and creative thinker
- Highly-detail oriented
- A passion for social and civic issues with an interest in working from a nonpartisan perspective
- Available for frequent travel
This position is full-time and based in New York City.
The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $80,000 per year and is commensurate with experience.
If you believe you are well-suited for this position, please email your resume and cover letter as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Public Engagement Associate” in the subject line. Note that we will be accepting applications until the position is filled. Only those who have been selected for a follow-up interview will be contacted.