Careers at Public Agenda
Public Agenda is an equal opportunity employer.
DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT
Public Agenda is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to helping leaders and citizens navigate divisive, complex issues and work together on solutions. For forty years, Public Agenda has fought gridlock and facilitated public problem solving on K-12 and higher education, health care, criminal justice reform, and many other issues. We do so by acting as an honest broker employing the tools of research, engagement, and communications. We also seek to contribute to the field of deliberative democracy and enhance the nationís capacity to solve problems.
The director of public engagement leads a team in the development and execution of public engagement projects on a variety of local and national issues, and leads the ongoing development of our public engagement methods, products and services. Reporting directly to the president, the PE director:
- Is instrumental in helping the organization design and fund new public engagement projects aligned with our strategic goals, including cultivating funder/client relations and playing a leading role in project design, proposal writing, and budgeting. In this, s/he often works in close coordination with the president and always with our directors of project development and finance.
- Oversees all public engagement projects, personally leading some and coaching/supervising team members in leading others. Also, ensures the coordination of occasional cross-departmental initiatives that combine members of the public engagement, research and/or communications teams in an integrated program.
- Builds and supervises the public engagement team and facilitates their professional development.
- Authors selected reports and memos, presents our work to various audiences, and generally represents Public Agenda to the public engagement field and to other important networks and audiences.
- Is a member of the presidentís senior leadership team, contributing to the organizationís overall strategy and effectiveness, and promoting collaboration across departments.
A strong candidate will have the following qualifications and attributes:
- Mission driven
- At least 8-years of directly relevant experience An advanced degree relevant to the work, with strengths as both a practitioner and thought leader in public engagement
- A proven entrepreneurial attitude and skillset
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Effectiveness and comfort in a hard-working, fast-paced, informal (yet rigorous) environment
- Strong project-management capacities and high standards for the execution of every aspect of the work, with a track record of success
- Collegial and collaborative, with strong team and organizational leadership skills
- Demonstrated track record of effectively supervising team members and supporting their professional development
To be considered, please submit your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to HR at email@example.com.
All applications must be submitted in a single PDF document. Please write "Re: Director of Public Engagement" in the subject line of your email and do not include your cover letter in the body of the email.
Compensation is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package.
Public Agenda values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
GRAPHIC DESIGNER AND DATA VISUALIZATION SPECIALIST
Public Agenda is a nonprofit organization that helps diverse leaders and citizens navigate divisive, complex issues. Through nonpartisan research and engagement, it provides people with the insights and support they need to arrive at workable solutions on critical issues, regardless of their differences.
Public Agenda is seeking a Graphic Designer and Data Visualization Specialist to join our communications team, which supports Public Agendaís programmatic work (in research, public engagement and higher education) as well as our fund raising and events efforts. This is a full time position located in New York, NY.
- Design and produce a wide range of materials in a variety of print and online formats for optimal user experience. Ensure that all materials are aligned with strategic communications goals and messages (defined by Communications Director and senior staff) and meet the specifications of Public Agendaís existing style and branding guidelines (when applicable). Materials include:
- Formal research publications
- Charts and tables
- Event materials
- PowerPoint/Prezi presentations
- Interactive web content
- Digital content optimal for social sharing
- Meet with Communications Director, program staff and clients to determine the scope of a project and to advise on creative design-based strategies for reaching a particular audience.
- Manage production calendar, keeping colleagues on deadline and guiding projects through all phases of design and production: conception, layout, bid collection, file preparation for print and press check.
- Liaise with vendors, acquire bids and estimates, receive and process invoices.
- Develop fresh concepts, designs and sample layouts for new projects, products and event collateral.
- Ensure visual consistency across all Public Agenda products and projects.
- Establish style guidelines for secondary organizational collateral, including infographics, internal memos, charts and graphics, invitations and brochures
- Work with program staff to analyze and interpret qualitative and quantitative data and statistics. Develop visualizations to communicate data and statistics clearly and quickly through charts, graphics and infographics, as well as interactive web models in collaboration with Public Agendaís Web Developer.
- Bachelorís degree required, preferably in fine arts or graphic design
- Dedicated professional with at least 2-3 years in a designer role
- Proven experience with graphic design and professional design standards
- Mastery of design software (i.e. Adobe Creative Suite)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, web analytics packages, data analytics
- Interest in, understanding of and capacity to build data visualization models
- Proven experience working with statistics in creative ways
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on project tasks and knowledge of when/how to engage team members
- Strong project management skills, work ethic and communication skills and a proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines with competing priorities and diverse personalities
- Enthusiasm for Public Agendaís mission and interest in public policy issues, particularly K-12 education, higher education and health care
To be considered, please submit your resume, cover letter with salary requirements, and portfolio or link to your portfolio online to Allison Rizzolo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit all applications in a single PDF document. Please write "Re: Graphic Designer and Data Visualization Specialist" in the subject line of your email and do not include your cover letter in the body of the email.
Compensation is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package. Public Agenda values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.